Can I have a vaginal birth if I have had a previous cesarean?

Vaginal Birth After Cesarean (VBAC) is a safe option for most women. We would love to speak with you to discuss your interest in a VBAC and see if your a good candidate for a VBAC at home.  

Should I have a doula at a home birth?

Doulas are wonderful; prenatally, during labor, and even postpartum! I highly recommend my first time moms as well as moms who are having a VBAC with no prior history of vaginal birth to hire a doula as part of her care because a doula can make the biggest difference for a successful natural bir

Can I eat and drink during labor?

Yes, in fact we encourage it! Your body is working hard and needs energy. You need to stay hydrated and drink plenty of fluids, especially those with nutrients and calories to keep your muscles working effectively. Many women lose their appetite at some point during labor, but you are encouraged to eat light foods if you so desire.  

What do you do if there is a complication or emergency?

Midwives are trained in pregnancy and birth. Usually a complication is not an emergency. If we cannot get the problem to resolve using diet changes, herbs, or other natural methods then I will refer you to see a doctor if it is during your pregnancy, or we will transfer to the hospital if you are in labor. Most transfers to the hospital are not emergencies. Most transfers arise when a mama has been in labor for a long time and she needs some help from the hospital. When this situation occurs, we will transfer to the hospital in your vehicle. I will stay with you throughout the rest of labor/ delivery and be with you in immediate postpartum as well until baby has latched on and you are all settled in to your postpartum room. If an emergency does arise any time during the pregnancy, birth, postpartum, we will call for emergency services (911), and you will be transported via ambulance. I am certified in CPR as well as neonatal resuscitation and carry oxygen with me to the birth.

How do I get a birth certificate and social security card for my baby?

 After the birth of your baby we will file your birth certificate electronically. Part of this process also routinely includes applying for a social security number for your child.